Ocean Sounds Norway is operating in an northern Norwegian town called Bodo. It is located within the Arctic and embrasses the southern part of the Vestfjord, looking over to the Lofoten islands.
Head researcher Heike Vester has been studying whales in the Lofoten area since 2003 and founded Ocean Sounds in August 2005 with the purpose of combining research with education and art.
Since 2003 we have identified over 13 species of marine mammals. Some of them are local species that live here all year round, such as the harbour porpoise or the European otter, or species that come regularly throughout the year, such as the long-finned pilot whale or killer whales. We also have summer guest on their long migration route from the equator to the Arctic, such as minke whales, humpback- and fin whales or male sperm whales.
Our research and education projects range from simple year round monitoring field work (including Photo-ID) to seasonal more specific projects such as social and vocal behaviour of whales and dolphins. Educational programmes include school lectures and workshops.
Our Goals & Projects in Norway:
- Protecting Whales of Lofoten & Vesteralen from oil exploration!
Monitoring Whales & Dolphins in Lofoten, and educating people about the impacts of seismic surveys in Lofoten and Vesteralen and surrounding waters.
- Long-term monitoring of all marine mammals in the Vesfjord since 2003, create baseline data to monitor changes in whale abundance and behavior due to climate change and other man-made impacts.
- Study of Vocal & Social behavior of long-finned pilot whales and killer whales since 2003 to present the nature of these highly developed and intelligent animals and help stop whaling and captivity and other disturbing human impacts such as boat noise from whale watchers.
- Research project on vocal communication of killer whales and long-finned pilot whales was completed with the doctoral thesis of Heike Vester in 2017. Her work builds the foundation of our future research.
- Information center 2006-2014 with exhibitions, lectures and discussions – closed!
- Marine wildlife tours, combining research and tourism 2006-2010 – closed!
- Art happenings: Whale festival 2011, many different smaller project with artists
- Field excursion to Svalbard and the Barents Sea with M/S Esperanza, Greenpeace Norway, summer 2014
- Teaching Marine Mammal Biology and supervising Master thesis in cooperation with UiN: Ellyne Hamran, Felipe Matos
- Research project on long-finned pilot whales in cooperation with Charlotte Cure and Patrick Miller, SMRU, St. Andrews, UK.
Donations for OSN
or bank account: SWIFT/BIC for SpareBank 1 Nord-Norge SNOWNO22
or Vipps (Norge): 515623
For more Info visit our Ocean Sounds Norway website: